Patients rightly expect our industry to discover the next breakthrough medicine. Any cure begins with hope. That's why we’re more committed than ever to developing treatments and cures for all diseases, with more than 3,000 medicines in development -- to help patients live normal lives.
This includes notable achievements for patients like:
- Increasing the number of cancer survivors currently living in the US to nearly 12 million in 2008, from 3 million in 1971
- Improving the five-year survival rate of children diagnosed with cancer from 58% in 1975 to 81% in 2005
We've seen some alarming increases in the rate of diabetes in America. In fact, the number of Americans diagnosed with diabetes has more than tripled since 1980, and nearly 26 million Americans -- 8.3 percent of the U.S. population -- are affected by the disease. But we're not just sitting around - PhRMA companies are currently working on 220 new medicines to treat diabetes and related conditions, all of which are either in clinical trials or awaiting FDA approval.
We believe that diabetes is a serious issue - while the death rate due to diabetes is declining, the rate of new cases has been rising. We're committed to fighting this disease, and improving and lengthening the lives of patients who suffer from diabetes. And we're not just fighting back by innovating new, crucial medicines for patients; we're also trying to provide all the resources diabetes patients need to live happy, healthy lives. Like how underdiagnosis and undertreatment of diabetes hurts patients in the long run.
See how patients are coping with this disease:
New medicines in development for diabetes include:
- A medicine that improves glucose-dependent insulin secretion
- A medicine designed to inhibit an enzyme linked to diabetic neuropathy
- A medicine to treat type 2 diabetes that may allow for once-weekly dosing
- Medicines in Development: Diabetes - Read this report to learn about all 221 medicines currently in development by PhRMA companies to fight diabetes
- Elizabeth Zabell Edelman of Diabetes Daily talks to PhRMA
- Diabetes on the Daily - Read more about how Elizabeth Zabell Edelman deals with the daily fears, frustrations and triumphs of living with diabetes
Learn what else PhRMA companies are doing to increase hope:
- Let's Work to Tackle Alzheimer's Disease - AFA President and CEO, Eric J. Hall, discusses the significant research and progress that will help lead to innovative treatments for Alzheimer’s.
- Martin DeBerardinis and Angel Flight - See what volunteer pilots like Martin DeBerardinis are doing to help patients receive long-distance treatment.
- Special Olympics DC & PhRMA - The spirit of giving and teamwork as PhRMA staff volunteered at the Special Olympics.
- Recipe for Hope - Melinda Winner doesn’t let Arthritis slow her down. She just pushes on.
- Young Scientists Continue to Amaze America - Our younger generation is moving medical innovation to meet great challenges.
- Giving Patients Nearly 1,000 Reasons to Smile - Take a look back at the milestones in Cancer research and find 1,000 Reasons to smile.